Thursday, August 8, 2013

SUMMER WAVES OF BLUE

There isn't anything more fun than....CROCHETING! I swear! In fact...I know it in my bones!
I never thought you could become addicted to yarn...boy, was I wrong! hehehe!
Obviously, if you read my last post from yesterday now...you'd see MY STASH! It's BIG and COLORFUL...and I couldn't be more happy...all wrapped up in it on a daily basis! I love to be silly in it, especially with my twins!

They're a big part of why I got started crocheting in the first place...just to make a baby blanket for my baby...of course, I didn't know at the time that we were about to have twins! What a shock...but, God gave me two, to sit me down and teach me to be PATIENT...and if anything, that's what CROCHETING has done for me!

It's all in the counting...don't ya think?! And I gotta say, it took me FOREVER to give in to the fact that I really did have to COUNT...lol, whether I liked it or not! Now...I can't stop COUNTING! I love it! And now....I'm finally getting to teach my own daughter....Olivia! I'm so very proud of her! It just warms my heart to see her smile, and be proud of her "chaining accomplishments"! And now, her friends want to learn too! It never grows old...the teaching part, I mean...not the mess, that comes along with being creative!...hehehe!


Mess or no mess....it all starts with the chain, then a sc, dc or hdc and so on! I never get tired of learning...and challenging myself with a new stitch or pattern. So, today....I'm going to talk about utilizing MY STASH, and hopefully helping YOU with YOURS!

Yarn...it's LOVE at first sight! Don't you agree?! It's not all the same though...and a lot of times we're not sure what to use or how to use it...especially if you're a beginner of sorts. Most of us are familiar with the same old brands...Lion Brand, Red Heart, Caron, and if you're a Hobby Lobby fan like me...you've probably used 'I love this Yarn'! Well, I do...LOVE IT, I mean! It's sooooo soft, and it works up well...I don't like that it's made in Turkey and not the USA; but it's what I have most available to me here in my local shopping area, and it's affordable! So, generally...it's my yarn of choice for most of my projects that I make. Everyone has their favorites...hence, THE STASH! Because, when it's on sale, WE BUY...right ladies?!
 Since, we're going to be talking about a particular baby blanket I'm currently working on...thought we'd start with how I gathered up my yarn...out of MY STASH, and made it work for my current project at hand. As you can see, I've got two different brands of yarn here...both are the same weight (4-ply), 100% acrylic yarn, and call for the same hook size to be used to get the right gauge for your finished work. So, when you compare the labels...and it all matches up...you're in great shape to mix and mingle...and make sure they're both washable! Don't ever mix a wool with an acrylic, unless it's a wool/blend with a wool/blend. Sport weights should be used with sport weights, and so on...get my drift?! Good...if not...see me in comments below, and we'll chat!
 
Once you've got your yarn figured out...you've got to decide on a pattern and the hook! Everyone has a FAVORITE HOOK...I know I do! I love the Susan Bates with the bamboo handles...I can go like crazy with them! But, like I said...everyone likes to use what they're comfortable with.
HOOK 'SIZE' DOES MATTER!
 
Another rule of thumb...everyone holds the hook differently...and from right to left...NO TWO STITCHERS EVER HAVE THE SAME STITCH SIZE...you might hold the yarn and hook tighter or looser than the next person...and so making your item appear to look different when it's all done as well. This is important to remember, when you're sitting there comparing your finished work to someone elses....STOP! Don't hurt yourself here! Seriously...it's not worth it! Yours will never be the same as mine and so forth!
 For this project...I chose an "I" hook...it's normal for a baby blanket...or a J or K...whichever you prefer to work with...the larger the hook, the larger the finished piece...and vise versa...the smaller the hook, the smaller the finished piece.
Got it? GOOD!
 
 
So, now to the pattern! We're almost ready to begin crocheting now!
I can't wait to start teaching you this neat little wave pattern! It looks complicated, but IT'S NOT! Trust me, if I can do it...SO CAN YOU!
 
I like to line up my yarn...get my inspiration, and then choose a pattern...kind of like telling a story! Only you are the author of the finished piece now...the pattern is only the guide!
You can do anything you like with the pattern once you understand that it's okay to mix and mingle your colors, yarns and hook sizes!
The world is your oyster...make it sparkle and shine, just like you!
 
 
 
This isn't a complicated pattern...I think anyone can do this! You just need to decide how large or small you want your pattern to be...if it's a scarf or a blanket, you need to first determine how long you want your finished piece to be...that will determine how many chains you start with in your foundation chain.
 
Of course, if you're like me...you might need more of a visual!
Here's a great little U Tube tutorial to help you out here!
 
And, when you get going...it's easy! Just keep repeating your pattern until you get it to the length you want...and it'll look something like this:
 
 
Happy stitching all! Let me know how yours turns out!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment